archives

First Congregational Church

The third church built in Galt was the First Congregational Church on the corner of Third and B streets. It was the result of the efforts of John McFarland and Dr. Obed Harvey, who encouraged the congregation to donate funds for its construction. Church elders laid the cornerstone in May 1884. The bell, pews, millwork and stained glass windows were shipped from San Francisco. By 1899, membership in the church was waning. In 1901, a small group asked to use the church for Episcopal services twice a month, and until 1914, both Congregational and Episcopal services were held there. Sometime in the early 1920s, the church changed its name from First Congregational to St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. The photo, taken from the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks, dates to the late 1920s.