The house in the photo was built for Alva Rider by James Ferguson in 1880. Dr. Frederick Harms brought his medical practice to Galt in 1898 and purchased the house from Rider in 1900. For the first few years, Harms moved his office back and forth from the Galt Hotel to his residence several times before finally securing it in his residence. His son Theodore was born in the house in 1905. At the time of his retirement in 1953, Harms was Stanford Medical School’s oldest alum and Northern California’s oldest practicing physician. The house still exists on Third Street and has been restored.
From the Archives