A & W Root Beer

In 1919, Roy Allen purchased a root beer formula from a pharmacist and opened a root beer stand in Lodi, Calif. The following year, Allen became partners with Frank Wright and the two combined their initials to become A&W Root Beer. In 1924, Roy Allen bought out Wright’s share and began selling franchises. Two thousand franchises later, Galt opened an A&W Root Beer in 1960 on Lincoln Way across from Galt High School. For the next 31 years, Galt A&W competed with the Galt Frostie for local hamburger sales. With an open campus at lunchtime, high school students would race across the street and get one of the burger specials that A&W was famous for. When McDonald’s opened around 1991, A&W became a casualty of competition.