In 1919, Roy Allen purchased a root beer formula from a pharmacist and opened a root beer stand in Lodi, California. The following year, Allen became partners with Frank Wright, and the two combined their initials to become A&W Root Beer. In 1924, Roy Allen bought out Wright’s share and began selling franchises. Two thousand franchises later, Galt opened an A&W Root Beer in 1960 on Lincoln Way across from Galt High School. For the next 31 years, Galt A&W competed with the Galt Frostie for local hamburger sales. High school students would race across the street from the open campus at lunchtime and get one of the burger specials that made A&W famous. When McDonald’s opened around 1991, A&W became a casualty of competition.
- Man killed in minivan vs. big rig crash identified
- 34-year-old cold case solved with DNA evidence
- Jacquelynn L. Dettra
- Moreno shares her own abortion story in the wake of Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade leak
- Fun Galt events coming in June
- Keajana Emily Hendrickson
- Hume talks about Galt over hot dogs
- Community garden growing back
- Honesty award goes to Tracie Cross
- Liberty Ranch baseball playoffs end in Manteca
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.