Methodist Church

The newly built Methodist Church sits waiting for the finishing touches in 1927. This is the second church structure to occupy the site after Iler’s Blacksmith Shop burned to the ground in 1895. The first church was a one-room building that was turned sideways and moved back to accommodate this one. The old one was attached to the back as can be seen in the photo. The Methodist Church was established in Galt in 1880 in the old Harvey Grove Schoolhouse. That was then moved to the northeast corner of 6th and E streets. In 1895, the old schoolhouse church collapsed in a storm, and the present site was then purchased. The 1927 church was replaced in the early 1970s by the present one. Thanks go to Earl Arrants and Pastor Norm Mowery at the Methodist Church for the photo and information.