Archives 1

A photo from around 1975 shows the little building at 550 C Street. This four-room edifice was built simultaneously as the water tower in 1936 and became the office of the Galt Water District. The district was in charge of the town’s water, water lines and tower. In the mid-1970s, the local chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars became the owners and used it as a clubhouse. A few years later, a doublewide modular building was added. In 2008, the VFW lost its charter for lack of members, and local dentist Dr. Kenneth Sanford purchased the building and leased it to the Galt Area Historical Society. Last year, the Galt Teen Center moved in when the historical society began establishing its event center at McFarland Ranch.