First Galt High School

The first Galt High School was a nondescript house on the corner of Oak and A streets, but which corner? There seems to be confusion about who owned the house. Some sources, including a Galt High School yearbook in 1918, say the house belonged to Colin McKenzie. Other sources, including an edition of the Sacramento Bee from 1911, say the house belonged to Dr. Alexander Montague. There is a logical explanation. Dr. Montague and Colin McKenzie married sisters, Annette and Isabel Gaffney. The two families built nearly identical houses across from each other on the corners of Oak and A streets. To this day, we still don’t know for sure, but nobody can be wrong at this point.