Dr. Harvey’s Office

When Dr. Obed Harvey moved to southern Sacramento County in 1868, he built a beautiful home and this office on his 3,000-acre estate. He had made his fortune in El Dorado County where, in the previous 18 years, he practiced medicine. He convinced the Central Pacific Railroad to lay their tracks through his property and establish the town of Galt. After the dust had settled, Dr. Harvey continued to practice medicine for several years before he retired to operate his ranch and become involved in local politics and events. He was also involved in the construction of the Congregational Church (St. Luke’s Episcopal Church).