A photo from around 1910 shows the inside of the First Congregational Church decorated for Christmas services. The First Congregational Church on the corner of 3rd and B streets was the first church built in Galt and was the result of the efforts of John McFarland and Dr. Obed Harvey. Under the leadership of the two men, the congregation made donations and raised funds for their church. The cornerstone was laid in May 1884. In 1901, a small group asked to use the church for Episcopal services twice a month, and until 1914, both Congregational and Episcopal services were held there. In the early 1920s, the church changed its name from First Congregational to St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. The pioneer names listed in the church roster are John McFarland, Dr. Obed Harvey, George Orr and John Sawyer.  St. Luke’s Church celebrated its centennial in 1984. This historic structure has been preserved as it was built. Merry Christmas, from the Galt Area Historical Society