Wriston House

Once located on the corner of 4th and B Streets, the Wriston House had an interesting beginning. It was once located across Dry Creek from the lost town of Liberty and along what is now Lower Sacramento Road. At the time, the two-story white house was a stage stop called the “Old People’s Home” because an elderly couple ran it. Stagecoaches making their run between Stockton and Sacramento would delay their trip and stop at the Old People’s Home in cases of high water in Dry Creek. The house was one of the first buildings moved to Galt from the Liberty area in 1868 and was Galt’s first hotel. Samuel Wriston bought the hotel in 1870 and turned it into his residence. The site is a vacant lot now. Thanks to local historian Barbara Filbin for the information.