From the Archives

Orr House

A photo from around 1900 shows the Orr house on what is now Orr Road. Galt pioneer John McFarland built the house for his niece Mary McFarland and her new husband George Orr as a wedding gift. Mary had been living in the McFarland home until her wedding to the McFarland ranch hand. After moving out, John McFarland, the lifetime bachelor, became lonely. Within a short time, Mary and George Orr moved back into the McFarland home to raise their family. The Orr house remained in possession of the Orr family for several years before being sold. The restored home still exists on Orr Road.