From the Archives

Clay Station race - In 1858, Thomas Steele settled on a piece of land 11 miles northeast of Galt. After the Ione-Amador Branch of the Central Pacific Railroad passed through in 1878, Steele built a blacksmith shop and this store along the tracks and established the community of Clay. Once Steele built a small railroad depot, it became Clay Station. This photograph had “Street Scene” written on the back, but it was the beginning of a horse race between two area ranches in 1896. The man with the beard, standing on the porch, is local rancher Curtis Edwin Bolton. The tall man standing in the middle is “Long John” Wilson. We don’t know who won the race. There is nothing left of the town of Clay Station.