From the Archives

Southern Pacific Railroad train depot

A photo from 1955 shows the east side of the Southern Pacific Railroad depot in Galt. The Galt depot was located on the southeast corner of the rail line and C Street. Typical of most depots, its location was at the base of the main street near shops, eateries and other services. The building was a Southern Pacific Company design number 18, a standard blueprint modified for the station’s use in that geographic location. The Galt yard, ancillary buildings and equipment were designed and laid out in approximately 1869. Southern Pacific expanded the depot in November 1925. Passenger service was eliminated in 1960 and the depot disappeared shortly afterward. Information courtesy of Michael Greer.