From the Archives

Galt Grammar School

The entire student body of Galt Grammar School poses with the principal for a photo on the front steps facing B Street. Galt Grammar School was the second school in Galt (Harvey Schoolhouse was the first) and was built in 1879 with money donated by Central Pacific Railroad tycoon Charles Crocker and Galt founder Dr. Obed Harvey. It was located on the southeast corner of Fifth and B streets. Grades one through four were on the first floor, and grades five through eight were on the second floor. A more prominent Galt Grammar School was built on E Street, and the old Galt Grammar School was torn down in 1915.