From the Archivies

Kenefick homestead

The Kenefick house was built for John T. Kenefick in 1911 on the farm purchased by his father Jeremiah in 1861. It was a two-story wood frame home with four bedrooms, a sewing room, a storeroom, and a bathroom upstairs. The southeast bedroom had curved glass windows and was larger than the rest. The downstairs had a living room with curved glass windows and a fireplace, a dining room with a fireplace, a library with a built-in bookcase and a fireplace, a kitchen and a maid’s bedroom. A member of the Kenefick family resided in the family home on the corner of Liberty and Kenefick roads until the death of Jeremiah’s grandson, John E. Kenefick, in 1993. The house then sat vacant for several years, becoming the victim of the elements. It was hoped that it would be restored and preserved, but in the early 2000s, the home reached its end when, on a Thanksgiving Day, it was engulfed in flames and entirely burned. Only a fireplace chimney remained standing as a salute to the lovely Victorian Kenefick home.